Shoes, booze and boys with tattoos... ♥


Sunday 27 February 2011

First initial sketches and almost finish illustration ...

                                 

 
1st Final Colour Illustration.




The first initial drawings were hard to come by, I have had so many images going around in my mind from reading the book that I found it hard to just concentrate on one. At first my aim was to do one illustration per chapter of the book, however while re-reading the first chapter I found myself wanting to illustrate several parts. But because I did not feel I should do more than one illustration per chapter, I found myself considering putting several scenes into one illustration. As I actually began to draw and because the forest that the book describes is so busy and wild; I believed if I showed several scenes in the same illustration the illustration would become to muddy. 
Bearing this in mind I choose to illustrate the one scene that stood out the most to me: the scene where Breadan and Rae meet for the first time and Rae discovers that she is a Demon.

I like my final image once it has been scanned into the my computer and edited slightly, so the background is more intense.

I chose not reveal too much of the fairy demons at this early stage, and I don’t think I will reveal them fully throughout the whole book.

I believe somethings are better left to the imagination even in illustrated books.

I also emailed Penelope (the author of the demon girl) my first illustration to get her opinion to whether I was capturing the essence of the book. The following is her response:


Hi Dionne,

I thought it was amazing! Me and my friends/family were discussing it over the weekend. 

I loved how the fairy was in the corner and the hazy impression of tattoo's. The wings were beautiful, and I love that you resembled the wing shapes on the flowers in the environment. It was dark, but still had an eye catching vibrancy. You caught the beautiful and gloomy aura I wanted the book to convey. Plus, the darkness had a blue tinge (well it did not me anyway) and since the fairies see in blues and purples when it gets dark I thought that was inspired. 

A more imaginative turn you say? I can't wait to see it. I'm following your blog so I get your updates when you post them! :)

I would love to share them online when you send them through, let me know if you would be comfortable with that.

PJ


No comments:

Post a Comment