Shoes, booze and boys with tattoos... ♥


Tuesday 1 March 2011

What can I bribe you with …

“What can I bribe you with, so I can come round, use your wifi to download my vampire diaries series?” I know vampire diaries is not exactly important, right? Well actually it is because putting aside the fact that I’m addicted and really need to keep watching the episodes; it is in fact Final Major Project related.
My book, well the book I’m illustrating The Demon Girl; is also about vampires and demons just like The Vampire Diaries and because I want to avoid using cliche vampire/demon things in my illustration. It is important that I research cliche vampire/demon things already out there.
You may not be aware but before the world of Twilight Saga, Vampire Diaries, The Demon Girl and few other books and programs in between, I was what you could call a Vampire/demon virgin. Anything that had the slightest chance to be scary and freak me out, causing me sleepless nights I refused to watch or read. Until the summer of nagging friends nagging me to read the Twilight Saga. I got addicted - very addicted but I’ve never looked back.

Right, back to the main event - my tutorial with Johnny.

After much discussion with Johnny, okay more Johnny talking and me listening. He suggested I put my stamp on things, giving my illustrations quirkiness that may not necessarily be stated in the book. - The 'Literature Loop-hole': The book may not specifically say that a certain something as something else on it or attached to it but nor does it say that it doesn’t have that something attached. For example, The book may not say that Rae’s wings have tattoos drawn on them, but nor does it say that Rae’s wings don’t have tattoos drawn on them.

This got me thinking about my other passion with of course you all know is tattooing. Tattoo influence is not just coming from me and my obsession and addiction to the art but from lines in the book where it describes Breadan (fairy) and how his torso is covered with intricate tattoos. It does not say specifically what these ‘intricate’ tattoos are, which allows me to create my own, so why stop with Breadan’s torso. 
I’m thinking lets over indulge in my passion, lets put a tattoo spin on everything, from trees growing tattoo machines, ink pot and bottles of tattoo ink to the characters having mysterious and random body parts covered with tattoos. From old school blue army tattoos to clean crisp new school.
Why don’t I create each demon with a tattoo twist on it: Rae could have tattoo ed wings, Breadan and his intricate tattooed torso, Tomas (The Vampire) could have tattooed fangs and eyes. etc

I am excited about this new development and can not wait to get drawing.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment