Shoes, booze and boys with tattoos... ♥


Tuesday 3 May 2011

one on one with Johnny ...

... & Louise.

After a successful work in progress, and some works being developed over the weekend; I was a lot more relaxed about seeing Johnny.
While hovering in the studio for Johnny to finish with another fellow student, I was approached by Louise inquiring to whether I had had much progress over the weekend. To which I showed her the following design.

Louise appeared to be please with this development, I am pleased to. I think this image is a lot more successful than the previous illustration of 'The Rupture'. Has Louise said in the work in progress when I use solid colour the effects are a lot creator. 
I must say as an off shoot, I am please to say that I feel a lot more comfortable talking to Louise, during our first meetings in second year and early first year I felt like we clashed, did not see eye to eye we simply didn't seem to get on. Which I found very frustrating, not because I  needed her approval but because I felt I did not get my point across well when talking to her. Over these last couple of months, as uni is drawing to a close I have found a new ground with Louise, whether it been the theme of this project or I have just stopped expecting not to get on and relaxed more around I'm not sure, but when I'm wrong I say I'm wrong and previous battles/misunderstanding etc with Louise I have found maybe not to be resolved as such over these past couple of months but forgotten about!

Back to the tutorial, after re explaining about me deciding to go back to painted illustrations, which again got a more positive response than expected. Johnny suggested some small adjustments to my images, for example on the one piece showing Rai's (demon girl) hair; I had kept it quite minimal and only put a few lines of hair on a solid block of hair. He suggested that there either needs to be loads of lines or none at all. He said the victorians was always way over the top with their imagery and patterns and he felt this how this needed to be. He also suggested about keeping the background white or pale, because he felt it brought the other elements out in the image. - I could totally see what he meant about the hair, I was not so sure on the background I was scared it would look unfinished with a white background especially with this pacific image. However I went back to my flat, added more lines to the hair and after a few undeceive minutes I decided to go for the white background. 




Johnny and I also talked about adding text to the images, as I felt that their where small sections of the book that really related to my images. I felt that these pieces of text need to be displayed along side my work some how, in order to support my images and share the story with the viewer. 
Louise commented how when she needed to draw text she would download the appropriate text of the internet and print out that text she wished to draw at the correct size. She would then use a light box and dip pen to create her text. She said it gave the text the feel of being hand drawn but allowed her to keep the sizing and spacing correct. Johnny again commented about victorian text may work quite nicely and for me to have a play around and see. He also invited me to find him in the studio tomorrow, so we could experiment with some text. 

No comments:

Post a Comment